Nikka Whisky was inspired by the clear streams of the Shinkawa River
NIKKA WHISKY Miyagikyo Distillery
Defined by its relaxing aroma and distinctive taste, the timeless delight of NIKKA WHISKY springs from the pristine nature of Sendai’s Miyagikyo Ravine. Clean air, gentle water and a humid climate are hallmarks of the region and essential elements for whisky brewing. The clear stream of the Shinkawa River winding through the ravine inspired NIKKA WHISKY founder Masataka Taketsuru to create the now iconic brand.
Taketsuru devoted his life to brewing, and he is remembered throughout Japan as the “Father of Whisky.” While his whisky journey began in the northern island of Hokkaido, Taketsuru was determined to create a new distillery in a location better suited for brewing. His search brought him to the Miyagikyo Ravine, where the fine quality of the water recalled the sweet taste of the Scottish Lowlands where he had originally studied his craft.
The release of Japan’s first commercial whisky was a resounding success, but this was not all that Taketsuru cared about. In his tireless quest to produce authentic whisky, Taketsuru was careful to preserve the surrounding environment during the construction of the facilities. These efforts are an important part of the legacy of NIKKA WHISKY’s unmatched flavor and quality.
Today, the Miyagikyo Distillery features a learning center that provides visitors with an in-depth look into the facility’s meticulous operations.
The timeless aroma and taste of Nikka Whisky
Whisky paired with a traditional Japanese room
Photo : Courtesy of NIKKA WHISKY Miyagikyo Distillery Co.,Ltd.
- NIKKA WHISKY Miyagikyo Distillery
- 1 Nikka, Aoba Ward, Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture 989-3433
- +81 22 395 2865
- Open hours:
- 9:00 – 11:30 / 12:30 – 15:30
- About 1 hour by bus from Sendai Station to Nikka Bashi Stop and about 5 minutes on foot :There is free shuttle bus from JR Sakunami Station on weekends. Please check the website above for operating time.
About 25 minutes by car from Sendai Miyagi Interchange Exit, Tohoku Expressway
- Learn about Japanese whiskey through factory tour, free tasting experience, paid tasting seminar, whiskey purchase.
Entrance fee is free